Is there a cost to this program?
This is a free program for youth struggling with reading skills.
Do I have to be a YMCA member to participate in this program?
No. This program is a free program we offer to our community regardless of YMCA membership.
Is my preK or Kindergarten student eligible?
Most students learn to read by 6 or 7 years old, that's why we begin to offer our program to students at the end of 1st grade. We recommend these tips to help younger readers:
- Read to your child daily for at least 15 minutes
- Stop and ask questions while you are reading
- Point out letters and words while out in public
- Focus on letter sounds, this can be more important than letter names
- Be a reading example, let your child see you read daily
- Play games - rhyming, sight words, etc... Make it fun!