Water fitness is a great way to stay active and improve heart health, reduce stress, all while gaining strength.
Y Instructors lead small groups through exciting water fitness choreography.
Try one of our popular water fitness classes that are suited for all fitness levels!
- Aquacise: A total body workout using a variety of quicker paced exercises held in shallow water.
- Aqua Tone: A fitness class that emphasizes muscle strengthening, muscle endurance, and flexibility using all parts of the pool.
- Deep Water: A strong cardiovascular workout that tones and firms without impact on the joints held in deep water.
- Aqua Core & More: Strengthens, tightens and tones your core using the natural water resistance. Class can use all levels of water.
- Aqua Kickboxing: High-energy workout in the pool combines boxing with martial arts. The focus is on speed, agility and endurance, with increased fitness benefits derived from working with the waters natural resistance.
Water fitness classes are a great way to gain muscle conditioning and cardiovascular endurance without putting stress on the joints. It's also an easy way to challenge yourself and have fun, regardless of your age or physical abilities. You'll also benefit from:
- Preventing falls and injury
- Improve flexibility
- Improve upper body strength
- Injury prevention and recovery
We're here to bust a common myth... Water fitness is only for seniors. Hopping into a pool at the Gateway Region YMCA is more than just splashes and laughs. Water offers natural resistance, which improves a workout and helps you reach your health and fitness goals.
As an organization, the Y is known for being the most accessible community resource to prevent drowning. As one of the largest community-based organizations in the country, the Y owns or manages over 2,000 pools and teaches more than a million children invaluable water safety and swimming skills.
But our pools are for more than just teaching swim lessons and for seniors – they are for everyone. Water fitness can be for any age and any fitness level! Exercising in the pool is gentle on the joints while you get to also experience a vigorous workout.