There are many ways to bring mindfulness into a person’s life and these tips help provide some ideas:
- Create a Mindful Corner for home, work or school that can include: Mindful Glitter Jar, Chime, Coloring, Hoberman Sphere, music (rain sticks and drums), heavy blankets (for weight), eye masks, essential oils, etc.
- Download a mindfulness app such as Insight Timer, Headspace, Calm
- Create a bed-time routine
- Turn off screens one hour before bed
- Use a hot water bottle or weighted blanket to calm the nervous system
- Align day with the circadian rhythms
- Use an essential oil diffuser to hydrate the air
- Take 1-minute brain-breaks throughout the day
- Manage energy, not time.
- Enjoy restorative practices at George Wellbeing such as massage/bodywork, singing bowl meditation, acupuncture, hydromassage and more
- Attend a Y Wellness Retreat and experience the splendor of the natural environment of camp through holistic wellbeing programming and individualized exploration. https://www.ymcamn.org/croixyoga, https://www.ymcamn.org/ihduhapiyoga and https://www.ymcamn.org/foreverwellretreat
- Eat mindfully at meal time by sitting down, chewing the food slowly and enjoying the sight, smell, texture and taste of the food.
- Take a mindful walk in nature and pay attention to the sights, sounds and smells of being in the great outdoors in fresh air.
- Participate in a yoga class where you will focus on breathing.
Written by: The YMCA Twin Cities