YOUTH AND GOVERNMENT AT THE Y
Youth and Government (YAG) provides students the opportunity to experience the democratic process and develop the leadership skills needed to become citizens of a participatory society. Based on the motto “Democracy Must Be Learned By Each Generation,” Youth and Government is a nationwide program that involves more than thousands of youth each year. See below for how the Gateway Region YMCA participates in and supports these programs locally, state-wide, nationally, and internationally.
General Units and Lesson Plans
- National Archives Educator Resources: Legislative Branch
- C-Span Classroom: Legislative Branch
- iCivics: Legislative Branch
- Vote Smart
Sites to Look Up Current and Pending Legislation
Missouri Youth & Government (MOYAG) is open to 9th-12th graders. It engages them in mock government in a program that culminates with a 3-day convention in Jefferson City with high schoolers from across the state. Delegation meetings will be weekly starting the week of September 11, 2023.
- August 23, 2023 - Branch Delegations Virtual Meeting
- August 25, 2023 - Letters & emails will be sent to parents of teens, CITS, etc.
- September 4, 2023 - Registrations for Branch Delegation opens
- September 11, 2023 - Branch Delegation Starts (Week 1)
- TBA - Conference Registration due
- TBA - Financial Aid Registration due
- *Financial Aid decisions will be made two weeks after the deadline.
- September 18, 2023 - Branch Delegation meetings (Week 2)
- Y Chaperone Registration due
- September 23, 2023 - Kick-Off Event
- September 25, 2023 - Week 3
- September 29, 2023 - Student Registration closes
- Financial Assistance due
- Program Leadership Applications due
- Candidate Filing opens
- October 2, 2023 - Week 4
- October 9, 2023 - Week 5
- October 13, 2023 - Bills are due
- Program Fee of $275 due
- Legislative Bills are due by 11:59pm
- Candidate Filing closes at 11:59pm
- October 16, 2023 - Week 6
- October 23, 2023 - Week 7
- October 30, 2023 - Week 8
- November 6, 2023 - Week 9
- November 13, 2023 - Week 10
- Parent Orientation Meetings at the branches
- November 27, 2023 - Week 11
- November 30, 2023 - December 2, 2023 - Convention in Jefferson City
We are thrilled to provide you with comprehensive information about the 8th Grade Youth and Government program, covering our agenda, attire, meals and rooms, transportation, chaperones, and program goals. Click below to learn more!