It’s no secret that swimming is great exercise and a challenging sport. The long list of health benefits correlated with swimming speaks for itself. The Y is here to support you in making swimming a lifelong pursuit for healthy living… and you don’t need a pool to do just that!
You can achieve the results of lean, toned, muscles like that of a swimmer from the comfort of your own home. Try out this custom workout. No water required!
Get ready by walking or jogging in place for 3-5 minutes.
Cycle through the below routine 5 times.
- 20 Flutter Kicks per leg
- Lay on back, alternate legs like freestyle, point toes. Benefit: strengthen core, improve kicking technique.
- 20 Supermans
- Lay on stomach, arms stretched out front; lift left arm and right leg for a few seconds, switch to right arm and left leg. Repeat 19 more times for a total of 20 reps. Benefit: strengthen core, improve stability and technique.
- 20 Overhead Reaches
- Bend knees, toes facing forward. Alternate reaching arms straight overhead. Benefit: strengthens side core muscles, stretches shoulders and arms to improve swimming technique.
- 20-Second Plank
- Benefit: strengthen core, improve spine stability while swimming.
- 20 Squats
- Benefit: strengthen glutes, improve efficiency of push-off from the wall.
Make sure to stretch out your entire body!
Looking for even more ways to stay fit at home?
Stream workouts from home for FREE! For your use over the next few weeks, we have compiled a variety of at-home exercise options at no additional charge for our members. Check out our bank of virtual workouts for all ages and abilities here!