What is Mental Health?
Mental health includes everything from emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It can alter how we feel, think, and act in our day to day lives. Mental health is crucial throughout every stage of our lives, as early on as childhood through adulthood.
5 Things You Can Do for Your Mental Health
1. Value Yourself
- Treat yourself with kindness and give yourself room to make mistakes.
- Forgive yourself often.
- Make time for things you love.
2. Take Care of Your Body
- Take a yoga class at one of our Y branches.
- Learn about our community gardens and plant a garden of your own.
- Eat good, nutritious meals and drink plenty of water.
- Exercise at one of our newly renovated Y branches.
- Get plenty of sleep at night.
3. Deal With Stress
- Practice coping skills.
- Do tai chi or yoga.
- Take a walk in one of the many tracks at your local Y branch.
4. Break Up Monotony
- Take a walk through a different park.
- Put up new decorations in your house.
- Try a new place to eat.
5. Get Help
- Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out and be honest about your feelings.
Other Mental Health Resources
At the Y, we offer training, support, and opportunities for kids, teens, and adults to take control of their mental health. We partner with local organizations like NAMI St. Louis, Saint Louis Counseling, Inc., and more to help provide mental health aid to those in the communities we serve.
Our program Starting the Conversation also provides frequent classes for training, support groups, and mental resources.
If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, please reach out to your local hotline or call the National Mental Health Emergency number at 988 immediately.