The O'Fallon Family YMCA Sea Dragons Swim Team is a competitive swim team that practices year round and competes September through March. We offer swimmers the opportunity for individual growth through a dynamic team experience that builds off the YMCA 4 core values, team building and community awareness.
- Team members range from 5 to 21 years of age.
- To help insure a safe and fun environment some basic requirements must be met in order to be a member of the Sea Dragons Swim Team.
- Swimmers must be at least 5 years of age and be able to complete the skills required to enroll in the YMCA Swim Lesson level of Minnow or equivalent. - 25 yards freestyle, 25 yards backstroke, and basic understanding of breaststroke and butterfly.
The O'Fallon Family Sea Dragons Swim Team builds and supports the foundation of a team on the following:
- Make new friends and cheer each other on to meet your personal goals in swimming
- Team activities; swim meets, volunteering, fundraising, and outside pool activities
- Work together as a team to become better swimmers
- Enhance all four strokes
Practice and Swim Meet Information
Practices are held at a variety of times based on group level. The levels are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Senior Prep, Senior, and National Prep.
BRONZE/SILVER - Bronze and Silver level swim groups are geared mainly for swimmers ages 11 and under or swimmers with limited Swim Team experience. It is beneficial, but not necessary, for these swimmers to be familiar with the four competitive strokes and have had past swim team. The main emphasis for this level is on refining competitive swim skills and teaching skills not yet learned. At this level, technique of competitive swimming skills is vital. Once techniques are learned, the group will begin to concentrate on training and racing experience.
GOLD - Gold level swim group is typically geared for swimmers ages 10-13 or swimmers with several years of year round competitive experience. Swimmers at this level should be able to perform all four strokes according to USS Rules. The emphasis for this group will change as the season progresses. Stroke technique will be the main emphasis early in the season. Later in the season, this group will concentrate on training and reaching goals set for competition.
SENIOR PREP - Senior Prep is mainly geared for swimmers ages 12-14 or swimmers with several years of year round competitive experience. Swimmers at this level should be able to perform all four strokes according to USA Rules. The emphasis for this group will change as the season progresses. Swimmers with YMCA Area times or Ozark Championships times will fit into this group. Some swimmers below those standards are eligible at coaches’ discretion. Stroke technique will be the main emphasis early in the season. Later in the season, this group will concentrate on training and reaching goals set for competition.
SENIOR/NATIONAL PREP - Senior and National Prep levels are geared for swimmers ages 12-21 (or at coaches’ discretion) who have had several years of year-round experience. These swimmers are those who are seriously dedicated to reaching the highest levels of their own potential. Swimmers with YMCA Area times, Ozark Championships times or YMCA and/or USA National times will fit into this group. Some swimmers below those standards may be eligible at coaches’ discretion.
Our competitive season runs from September till March.
Swim Meets are held on weekends, usually within a 2 hour radius from the O'Fallon Family YMCA. The types of meets include invitational meets, dual meets, and tri-meets. Parents are a huge factor in assisting with meets to make sure they run smoothly.
2016 Sea Dragon Evaluations will be announced in June of 2017.
- Full Family YMCA Membership required.
- Swimmers are required to attend a certain percentage of practices and a certain number of meets; this information will be available at Evaluations.
- Team Members must also register with USA Swimming as we are a YMCA team and a USA swim team. This registration is an additional fee.