The Gateway Region YMCA is gearing up for its 41st Annual Book Fair July 19-23 at the Greensfelder Recreation Complex in Queeny Park. The fair features more than half a million books, CDs, magazines, and records. Proceeds benefit the Y’s youth and literacy programs that provide reading tutoring and free books to hundreds of children and adults each year.
“We serve over 2,000 parents and children each year thanks to funds raised from Book Fair,” said Matt Thompson, district vice president at the Gateway Region YMCA. “We’re able to offer programming in STEM education, tutoring, teen leadership (including Youth and Government), and summer day camp, just to name a few.”
The Youth and Government program gives teens an understanding of local, state, national, and international concerns, and provides opportunities to experience the democratic process and develop the leadership skills needed to become citizens of a participatory society.
The fair includes a rare books collection, including a signed copy of Power Gold, by Ben Hogan, Cujo by Stephen King, first edition, and a St. Louis Cardinals Stan Musial Harmonica.
Preparation for the event began in January thanks to the generous people of the entire bi-state region who donated their books to one of the Y’s 24 branches. Approximately 400 volunteers and 8,000 volunteer hours go into putting on one of the region’s largest and most popular fairs.
Book Fair Schedule:
- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday, July 19 – Tuesday, July 23
- Daily Specials:
- Friday, July 19 – “Preview Day”. $10 admission fee this day only. (July 20-23 admission is free of charge.)
- Sunday, July 21 – Family Day from Noon – 3 p.m. Meet local authors, enjoy food trucks, Eckert’s Country Store & Farms with peaches & kids activities, Bubble Bus (1-2 p.m.), Kona Ice (1-3 p.m.), family activities, arts and crafts and much more!
- Monday, July 22– Half-price book day. All books ½ off.
- Tuesday, July 23 - $10 Box Day. $10 per box for all books in box.
The Book Fair will feature items priced beginning at $.50.
Queeny Park is located at 550 Weidman Road, St. Louis, MO., 63022. More information on the book fair is available at www.ymcabookfair.org.